"Happy Easter!" Week 43 Update from Sachse, Texas


"Yes, men and women who turn their lives over to God will find out that he can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life to God will find he has eternal life."  New Era, May 1975 President Ezra Taft Benson

Losing my life to God was the best thing I ever did. Period. This mission, as Felipe has said, 'is the hardest thing I've ever loved'. And training is the best thing I've ever been nervous for.
My new companion is Sister Reboquio! She is amazing. She's from the Philippines, which is the coolest thing ever! This is her first time in America! It has been quite an adventure teaching her about this country and learning about her country. She speaks Tagalog but studied English in school. Her English is pretty good but there's still a little bit of a language barrier. She's adjusting very well though! She's the sweetest person from an amazing culture. I love Filipinos just from what she's told me. Training is crazy, especially because I'm training her on an entirely new culture too. Her country is a lot more simple than ours. The people are much more harsh here and our way of life is quite extravagant. Being her trainer has taught me a lot more than what I'm teaching her. This is definitely a life changing experience! Her people serve each other all the time and are so respectful, it's so incredible! I can easily say the only hard thing about training so far is my disappointment in our culture.. People don't seem to have enough time for God or to serve and love each other. The way money is thrown around is super astounding to my companion, and it's really opened my eyes. We could really use some humility up in here!;)
The differences in our cultures don't all make me sad though! It's been so fun experiencing things she's never done or seen. I took her to Subway for the first time- she loved it! (Thanks for the gift card mom!) She says everything is bigger in Texas- and she doesn't even know that's a saying! But it's true! She was amazed how big the sky, the sun and moon are. She's never met so many inside, pampered dogs. In the Philippines, dogs usually run around the  streets all the time. I taught her how to use a dishwasher and a washing machine. I want to teach her to drive, but pretty sure the mission wouldn't approve! We bought rice and have been eating that everyday. She's teaching me Tagalog and we are going to learn I am a Child of God! She's really adorable. She has an amazing spirit and testimony. She is a super powerful teacher. Training has really been the best experience! There are so many things, I don't even have enough time to write them all down. One funny story- The first night she was here she was still not sure about what she should and shouldn't do. So we were getting ready for bed and I said my prayer and got into bed. I left the light on because she was still praying and usually the last person to go to sleep will turn the light off. She must have thought we slept with the light on or something because the light was on all night. I was so tired I didn't even notice until 6am! The next day our light burnt out- haha! It's been fun. She watches and does and says everything I do, so it's been a good chance to evaluate all those things in myself. I'm always teaching her new words and she is a great, fast learner!

We have had a great week! It's been a huge blessing to have such fresh faith. I'll have to tell y'all about more miracles next week! I got to sing a song in Spanish at another Spanish baptism- that was one highlight. Gift of tongues in music for sure since I only had 10 minutes to prepare! Oh and one of my favorite highlights- Robert and Judy have been having a hard time recently. She is getting more sick and it doesn't look like she'll be able to be baptized in this life. Robert is so tired. So we asked what his favorite dessert was. Key lime pie. So with the help of the Lea family, we got to make his dessert! He wasn't expecting it at all. It brought tears to both of their eyes and meant so much to them. It was definitely worth all 20 key limes that we juiced. I'm so blessed to have so many incredible people in my life right now!

Also I read the story of the brother of Jared in Ether and wrote down my thoughts. I really got a lot out of this story and wanted to share it with y'all: When we turn to God and rely on His support, He will be there. He will provide trials. He will provide safety, light, protection, guidance to lead us in the right direction toward what He has prepared for us. There may be storms of trials, we may be completely submerged in hardship but He will always bring us back up. Under water or above water, He will always be the light that never dims. We must keep ourselves 'tight like unto a dish' to God and His counsel. No wiggle room. We should praise Him and give Him thanks unceasingly. Then, we must go to work.
President Monson: "Whether it is the best of times or the worst of times, He is with us. He has promised that this will never change. May we have a commitment to our Heavenly Father that does not ebb or flow with the years or the crises of our lives. We should not need to experience difficulties for us to remember Him, and we should not be driven to humility before giving Him our faith and trust. May we ever strive to be close to our Heavenly Father. To do so, we must pray to Him and listen to Him every day. We truly need Him every hour, whether they be hours of sunshine or of rain. May His promise ever be our watchward: 'I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.'"

Easter was the best ever! Made me cry every time I thought about how incredible it was to spend Easter as a missionary. Talking of Christ, Rejoicing in Christ, Preaching of Christ. He lives! He is Risen! He will come again!

Mahal kita! (I love you in Tagalog)

Sister Kristina Dalling

P.S. I completed my 21 day chocolate fast! And my mom provided the prize. Thanks for the best Easter package! aka chocolate package aka I love you! I have the best family ever!
Forever<3

Write me!
Sister Kristina Dalling
6360 Murphy Rd.
#123
Sachse, TX 75048

No comments:

Post a Comment